Saturday, 8 March 2014
Finished my Knight model. I decided to go for a gloss black finish to give a suitably sinister appearance but it is awful to photo especially in the Spring light. I went for a much simpler colour scheme than GW's show models as they look too finicky: great when painted by a commercial artist for close up photography but not really wargame fodder.
The base is MIG earth and permanent fixative with GW technical and textured paint.
Thursday, 6 March 2014
Last week I showed modern nations drawn onto the Pangaea supercontinent as an example of an alternative Earth for SF authors and game designers. In this blog I want to develop the theme and show some more alternative Earths.
About 175m yrs bp in the middle of the age of dinosaurs Pangaea started to break up. The vast bay of the Sea of Tethys in the east extended and broke Pangaea into two supercontinents, Laurasia in the northern hemisphere and Gondwana in the southern hemisphere.
This world is an interesting variant on the modern Earth if these supercontinents failed to break up. Hominids evolved in Africa so would presumably have been restricted to the southern hemisphere until the 15th C. and the invention of the trans-oceanic sailing ship. What would our bold mariners and explorers find on the northern continent?
In the next phase towards the end of the age of dinosaurs, Laurasia rifts along the line of what will be the North Atlantic and rotates clockwise. The world looked something like this.
Finally Gondwana rifts, spinning off South America, Antarctica, India and Arabia leaving Africa as the remaining rump. However the interesting thing is the split started along the line of the African Rift Valley but this spreading zone was overtaken by the ones that gave rise eventually to the South Atlantic.
But it needn't have happened that way. Suppose the African Rift had remained primary? In that case the modern world might look something like this and have a very different spread of climates.
Tuesday, 4 March 2014
All is well in Kensington. The omnibus waits to pick 'the man' and take him to Clapham.
The Captain breaks down the embassy's front door with his trusty sabre and runs in to secure the plans.
Hey I won, a game of IHMN: that's two games I've won now - after a series of abysmal failures with the Thule Group.
The figures are all West Wind Empire of the Dead and Artizan. My opponent was Von Shaun.
Monday, 3 March 2014
Finished the first draft of a novel for Baen Books at the weekend so I decided to celebrate by assembling and priming an Imperial Knight model.
It went together fairly well with only the odd bit that didn't seem to fit anywhere.
I elected for a Melta Cannon as the shooty weapon as the main weapon is a D close combat sword so fitting a long range battle cannon seemed a bit MRCA: many roles can't do any.
This version is an up close and personal monster killer.
Went for a gloss black as the primary colour using Humbrol spray. I think I will use steel and red as the contrast colours.
Tuesday, 25 February 2014
I have just finished a model of the Italieri SD.Kfz. 234/2 Puma.
The Puma was one of the 234 series of 8-rad (wheeled) German heavy armoured cars. The turret had been designed for a cancelled leopard light tank and incorporated a 50mm antitank gun. This really was overkill for a lightly armoured vehicle that was intended for reconnaissance but it is fun on the wargames table.
This is a great kit in 1:48 scale. It is modestly priced at around £12-13 and is a little less fiddly than Tamiya so excellent as a wargaming model even if less impressive as a display piece. The kit is more or less vanilla except for some added baggage, a pick axe and brush-hair ariels. I replaced the mg with a more evocative one from Warlord.
I used Tamiya desert spray and brush paints for the hull and Revell Anthracite for the wheels.Camo is with Revel red-brown and GW olive-green.
Key to the finish was the dirtying up procedure. I used Citadel orange-brown textured paint to add mud to the underhull. The car was then washed in Citadel dark brown with air intakes in Citadel black wash.
Rust along the side seams and, especially the rear was made from MIG rust powder mixed with Citadel orange rust dry brush paint.
Highlights were then added with Citadel flesh dry brush paint. This is great for hghlighting all sorts of colour schemes.