Saturday 19 May 2018

Miniature Wargames Free Figures, Wild West Exodus





This months issue of Miniature Wargames has free figures from the Wild West Exodus game, now owned by Weyland Games.



I don't know much about the game but it seems to be steampunk using 30 mm (?) plastic models. These two retail for £17 the pair.

The models do not immediately impress. The plastic is one of those semi-resin types but does stick together easily with standard plastic glue. The models are fairly adjustable and lend themselves to a degree of customisation.

And the finished model is actually pretty decent - much better than the bits would suggest.

As these were free, I decided to lay around a bit with a different painting technique.

I undercoated them in Humbrol aluminium spray, which gives a metallic light grey and rather grainy appearance, and then coasted them with Tamiya Clear Red.


I was very pleased with the result: see above.

Adding a little Tamiya Clear Yellow overpaint gave some pleasing  highlights. All I did to finish off was to paint in a few details in Vallejo brass.

I will use this technique again. Next time I might try Humbrol silver or gold as the undercoat.




9 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I can't make my mind up on WWX. I love the whole Steampunk Wild West vibe it has. I think I wish it was more Bravestar than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit iffy about the concept. It doesn't really grab me .

      Delete
  2. Great utilisation of a freebie John, trying out a new painting method you wouldn't normally try. The GW gem paints can give a similar effect, which I use on our insects giving an iridescent look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ,I use the GW ones as well but I am v impressed with the TAMIYA.

      Delete
  3. I see they have a faction that heavily resembles the crew of firefly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good use of ghe freebie. Mine will probably sit around waiting for attention for some time...probably until the next Painting Challenge.

    ReplyDelete