Friday 26 June 2020

Review: New Plastic Fabius Bile


Fabulous Vile and Igor

Fabius is one of my favourite 40K characters. I really identify with mad scientists especially BioGeek mad scientist gene jockeys. The metal model was not great so I had my order in early when a new plastic version was announced, especially as he came with his very own Igor.

The Postman Knocks Twice

I bought the model with a copy of the new accompanying supplement, more about that later. Fabius and Igor came in a box, raising my expectations of the goodies inside.

The Sprue

Opening the box was a let down. I mean, £25 for a single little sprue to build two big models: 21 pieces in total!!! Igor was only five pieces, one of which was a base.

Dynamism

The poses are very dynamic.

Fabulous is caught in the act of stepping forward, pushing off with his stick - Torment, Needler hanging loosely in one hand.

Igor is crouched over a space marine holding a strange semi-organic gribbley machine, presumably extracting geneseed.

Striding Out

Actually, when the models are assembled and painted they look pretty good.

I think my initial disappointment was because I have been painting new Tamiya 1:48 modern armour and it is amazing what you get in a box. Of course, wargame models are expensive compared to historical models so, on that basis, I am happy with my purchase.

One nice point: the new data sheet comes with the model. You don't need anything else to incorporate Fabius in your Chaos Marine army.

Recommended



13 comments:

  1. Nice review John, for me the pose isn't much different from the original model, but that's a personal taste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I remember it as more static...but maybe my memory is playing tricks. This model is way bigger

      Delete
  2. To be honest, I just want the 'Igor' model (no idea what I'd do with him but yeah...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much! You must have more money than sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only pose as an impoverished academic. In reality I am a secret millionaire.

      Delete
  4. Lovely model but my old metal Fabius is here to stay at the price of the new kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The price did make me swallow hard but I do like Fabulous.

      Delete
  5. I'm not really seeing any big improvement on the metal kit. Yay! More money for other stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plastic kit is way more impressive on the table.

      Delete
  6. Boom! That was quick! I've only just got mine assembled based and primed!? Looks great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For fans of mad science and Jaegermonsters, I can heartily recommend "Girl Genius" by Phil and Kaja Foglio.

    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104

    Regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete