Sunday 24 March 2013

Strippers






I picked up a bottle of paint stripper from B&Q and was astonished to find it was in a plastic bottle, not a tin.

So I tried it on three second hand Dark Eldar models caked with paint that I picked up on eBay for a song. I put the models in an old mug, poured the stripper on and left to soak for 48 hours. I gave the models a scrub in water and washing up liquid and voila!

The fluid stripped the paint fine, no problem at all. OK, anything else would have been something of a surprise but  the key thing is what it didn't do. Have a look at the bases. They were on the models the entire time. The fluid stripped the paint but hasn't touched the plastic!!!

I think I have found a way of stripping plastic models.


4 comments:

  1. I generally use good old dettol on metal, plastic and resin with no issues yet encountered bar stinky fingers!

    As as aside, I work in chemical manufacturing and our paintstripper goes into plastic gallon jerrycans... its the stuff with citrus in thats a real ballache, for example our lemon disinfectant sends the plastic container tissue soft within a matter of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting Phil. ave they changed the formulation? The old stuff I used to use melted plastics into goo.

      Delete
  2. I use a pine disinfectant too but this does seem jolly useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had much luck with pine disinfectant. I found it very slow.

      Delete