Sunday 30 April 2017

Review Warlord Games 10th Doctor Who

10th Doctor Model Collection

The 10th Doctor comes as a high quality metal model in a box with four assistants, Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Donna Noble, and Wilfred Mot.

The models are a larger scale than usual, the Doctor is 40mm from the bottom of the base to the top of his head. The models are 'to scale': most 28mm models are not true scale, having exaggerated 'cartoon-like' heads and hands and different vertical and horizontal scales.

The sculpting is excellent, being very life like. I have to say the moulding is perfect, and I mean perfect! You can take the models straight out of the box and paint them.



10th Doctor Miniature

The only one I have painted so far is the Doctor himself. The model was really easy to paint as everything is clearly defined. Now, I am not claiming in any way to be a professional painter; I am a pretty average wargamer when it comes to painting, with only mediocre skills whose main aim is to get something acceptable onto the table as fast as possible.

So the photo gives an idea what the average person can achieve.



Rear View

I used Tamiya 'Pavement Effect' paint on the base after building it up with Milliput.




Scale Comparison With 28 mm Mini

The photo show the 'to scale' 40mm high Doctor model with a 28 mm 'wargame style' Warlord Games Bolt Action metal mini.

Rose Tyler is next.


Disclaimer: I wrote the as yet unpublished Doctor Who "Into The Time Vortex" wargame rules for Warlord Games

12 comments:

  1. Proportions were probably the good reason that Britains toy soldiers were 54mm. Big enough to be robust, but not be caricatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's apparently exactly right, Ashley. I'm no expert on this but they have to be true scale for licencing reasons so they have to be large enough for good sculpting.

      Delete
  2. It's weird, I know they are life-like and perfectly proportioned, but they just look wrong. I believe this is why designers accentuate body parts, or am just to used to gaming figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think both suggestions are probably true.

      Delete
  3. Afriad they are no good to me, same problem as other 38 - 40mm ranges, none of my terrain or other figures fit with them and I can't afford to start a complete new scale. I agree with "Unknown" they also look doll like and lifeless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a number of licensed and unlicensed 40mm now. Remains to be seen whether this will become the norm.

      Delete
  4. The sculpts look good, but a little soulless. Again I echo the strange scale and terrain problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are one piece to attract collectors which I suspect has implications when choosing a pose.

      Delete
  5. Dear John,
    At the moment these appear to be display models. Have Warlord made any public comment about a game--any game--using them?
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dave, I believe they can be used in the Exterminate 'board-game'. And, of course, they will be usable in my tabletop wargame rules, 'Into The Time Vortex'when there are enough models to support publication.

      Delete
  6. It is a beautiful casting, and in bulk, close enough to the 28mms to pass of as "just a tall chap". Grinding down the base will bring it even closer to your 28mm example, who has his knees bent and is on a slightly built up base. I am a huge fan of non-dramatic poses, and prefer "relaxed" as a description to "soulless".

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutting off the base will certainly affect the perceived scale.

      Delete