Thursday 7 May 2020

On Tippy Toes - Aeldari Harlequins

Frozen Stars

Change of pace now. Rummaging in my boxes of defunct projects I came across an Aeldari Harlequin Troupe: no I have no idea why or when i bought them. But the models were built, based and undercoated so I finished them off.

I loosely based the colour scheme on Harlequins and - no - I wasn't spending three months painting bloody diamonds so the motley was out. Stoopid idea! What were Geedubya thinking of?

Resin Ruin Bases

The bases are rather nice resin modelled in the eroded remains of building ruins. I painted them a monochrome blue-grey to fit in with the idea of webways into ruined Eldar worlds.

The Dance

They are waiting on the shingle—will you come and join the dance?
    Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, will you join the dance?
    Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you join the dance?
Lewis Carroll


5 comments:

  1. Great looking Harlequin's John, still need to get around to painting mine, one day ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have bought these not long after they were released.

      Delete
    2. Dear John

      I had dinner at Jim Baen's house not long after he moved to NC. The Baen Books area of the house was down a level from the entrance. After dinner we went downstairs.
      Various art was hanging in the stairwell. Among it was a knight dancing in 14th century jousting armor while standing on a round metal base and carrying a 6' staff.

      Jim explained that Steve Hickman had painted it as a cover for the Northworld series. It was unsatisfactory so Jim got another cover (actually from two artists). He still had the original though. I liked the painting though it wouldn't be a good cover.

      After Jim's death, Toni (the new publisher) wanted a new contract with me and asked what I wanted for an advance. I told her, "That Hickman dancing knight hanging in the stairwell." The painting arrived when Jo and I went out to dinner with Toni and her husband.

      Then at the next New Year's party at Mark's the Baen finance person brought me a large check to bring the advance up to my usual figure (which wasn't what I'd meant at all).

      He would go well with your harlequins,

      All best|
      Dave

      Delete
  2. And all their wars were merry
    And all their songs were sad

    Chesterton

    ReplyDelete