Friday 17 October 2014

IHMN, VBCW, Royal Artillery Armoured Tractor

Based on a steam tractor the Royal Artillery armoured tractor is designed to tow field guns through enemy fire. It is equipped with a turret mounting a light howitzer to protect the artillery crew while unlimbering.

The chassis is reversed to put the vulnerable boiler at the back and the front wheels have been moved further apart for stability given the heavy armour around the cab.

The tractor is shown here in desert camouflage - Martian desert camouflage - although the paintwork has proved surprisingly effective in the Sudan.


The tractor has been issued to batteries of The Honourable Artillery Company who have promptly been nicknamed 'The Raspberry Tarts' by the rest of the Royal Horse Artillery.

8 comments:

  1. I was wondering about the colour! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice John. My giant robot will enjoy vibrating that into a pile of rivets and scrap metal ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real artillerymen wear pink! Fabulous work John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that vehicle well, after building my own. My "FEARNOUGHT" looks well drab now though!

    http://pauljamesog.blogspot.com/2014/01/hearts-of-oak-part-3.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I commented on your blog at the time Paul. In fact, guess who drew my attention to the model. :)

      Delete