Monday 24 August 2009

Valkyrie Nose Art





I have added som 'bomber' pinup nose-art to my Old Crow Valkyries.

These are from Archer. They are laser-printed on white paper, cut out and stuck on with a thin layer of PVA glue.

One could easily make these but one avoids copyright issues by buying from a reputable supplier. They can be made on ink-jet printers but the ink must be stabalised with artists varnish or similar as it is water soluble.

All sorts of clip art is available or you can use your own designs. I doubt GW would care about scanning GW art to make transfers for use on your personal Citadel models.

I may try making my own dry and wet transfers next. The paper can be obtained over the web from Crafty Computer Paper.

9 comments:

  1. I like those pinup girls mate. I've actually got some laser decal painter from the Crafty people, just waiting to paint up the valkyrie before I adorn it will a custom pinup girl. I'm thinking Betty Bo at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are sharp. I have used some custom decal paper and had good luck with it. I used a regular inkjet printer and then sealed the whole paged with some gloss sealer. It ended up working out very well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look good, but I wonder if they'd fit in with the rest of the vehicle a bit better if you painted in the big white/yellow areas with the vehicle color?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Chris
    They are much smaller than the appear in these pics.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cyborg
    I saw a Vietnam diorama of a firebase with mini-playboys!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John
    Back to the Blog I think I may lack the Computer skills to have sent the file I attached to your E-mail so I'll print them and give you hard copies. It includes a Betty Boo for your blog follower Col.Corbane

    ReplyDelete
  7. And Were back
    I have news for Chris re the white backgrounds
    I have found in researching the nose art Ive found one for a WWII B17 called "Miss leading"
    where it was painted olive drab but the girl was painted on a white/light yellow? rectangular(ish)panel (not sure which the picture is in black and white )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love them! I think the mini-Playboys for the Vietnam firebase were done by Verlinden. He always added a ton of stuff like that to his dioramas (and of course went on to sell a lot of it as stuff you could add on).

    ReplyDelete
  9. isnt it an idea to print them on a transparent sheet of paper and then glue them on the side of the valk. The transparent parts will show the color of the valk trought then

    ReplyDelete