Wednesday 18 August 2010

HOTT Now FREE




Regular readers of this column (oh come on now, there must be one or two) will recall that I have always been much taken with Barker's Hord of the Things rule set because of their ease of play, universality to any models and sheer fun.

Well, you can now legally download the rules for free from WRG's site here:
http://bit.ly/c9tNyq

Just to demonstrate how versatile the rules are, I have copied soe army pics from a brief flip around the web. I have also seen Dr Who/UNIT armies, Barsoom armies, Royal Family armies....










Note that you don't have to rebase. HOTT requires a set base frontage, depending on scale of model it could be any size but both armies must have the same frontage for their units. One way to achieve this is to bluetack existing models and bases onto cards cut to the suggested frontage.

Each stand is a unit so quite a decent army can be made from a few models.

Go on, you know you want to........

10 comments:

  1. I like the edible army idea. My wifes dog believes that dice that roll off the table and poor unfortunate figures that follow are at least worth a good chew. So it stands to reason that edible armies are the way forward. Perhaps GW's move from white metal into plastic is just a transitional phase, en route to injection moulded fudge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear ZZ
    Like playing chess with miniature bottles? The quality of the game does tend to deteriorate after a while.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the regular follower! No! [voice off-stage] I'M the reg....anyway, as any regular followers of my blog will have detected, I'm no fan of GW, so tend to look at the pretty pictures and just fantasize when surfing (or regularly following) rather than reading toe blurb too closely.

    Am I to understand you can field anything against anything with HOTT? I've advocated this for years, it means the rivet-counters and camouflage 'experts' can stay home whining on a forum somewhere and everyone else can have fun!

    I have a handful of dead Wasps somewhere and a Hornet in the 'cabinet of curious things', I'm sure they'd make an army, and then I could do something with tea-bags? Can you do HOTT solo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pyramid Tea-bags, a PGyptian army....



    ...I'll get me coat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Maverick
    Yes, it's completely universal. I have played Lizardmen against Dad's Army.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. To speed the games up you could play with ice sculptures possibly fruit flavoured you could always use some of those ice cube shaped moulds perhaps an army of sea creatures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Shaun
    I still like the idea of drink miniatures.
    J

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I've down-loaded it, got the hang of PIP's, think I understood ensorcelling and desorcelling...Oooh Matron! but scrolled to several pages of overlapping parallelograms laughingly calling themselves 'Measuring Single Element Moves' and realized that either I've very tired this evening, or; my eyes 'aint what they used to be!! Given also that I dropped out of Uni, I'll have to tackle them when I'm more up for a fight!

    Nothing about Ray guns or MP38/40's so I see an extended surf for add-on rules in my immediate future - Great! I'm a Mage already!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Maverick
    Yes, you do have to cope with a new version of English known as Barkerese, but it is worth it.
    The game is much simpler than the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John
    I've downloaded the rules so Ill no doub't be "rebaseing" several of my armies or doing one set of bases and putting them on it as required. Fortunately I use to be fluent in Barkerese having been brought up on Airfix Napoleonic rules and WRG so that might be useful

    ReplyDelete