Wednesday 18 April 2012

Citadel Textured Paint


There are a whole new range of Citadel paints, for the benefit of those who have just landed from the International Space Station. One of the new ranges is textured paint. I tried the dark brown for adding mud to AFVs - see above.

In comparison to Tamiya paste sticks:

Plus
Much easier to apply as you can paint it into difficult to get at places, such as behind the bogies of this tank.
Dries hard and sticks well.

Minus
I was surprised how much it shrinks when it dries. I really caked it on the front of this Sherman.


10 comments:

  1. Hmmmm... I may give this a try. I use the Tamiya sticks but its really hard to apply properly and it seems to take forever to harden. I may pick up a tub of this texture paint and experiment with it. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lee
      The Citadel stuff dries v. quickly but shrinks down.
      J

      Delete
  2. Quite a clever idea. I was probably going to steer away from the texture paints for basing, but this may be a good quick and easy way of adding mud to tanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Courtney,
      It's worth a try. They do a couple of colours.
      J.

      Delete
  3. Buy the paint - but avoid their brushes like the plague!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear phil
    I use W&N for painting but cheap child's brushes for stuff like this. It wrecks decent brushes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First time i've seen the textured paint being used and I must say it looks pretty good. Particularly at this scale. Odd then that GWs own scale is much larger, and so I doubt it would work quite as effectively on their own kits!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might give this a try to. I'm still practicing with Tamiya weathering powder.

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The citadel stuff is very easy to use. You just paint it on.

    ReplyDelete