Monday 14 October 2013

Crystal Palace: 2013






Tootled along to Crystal Palace for the 2013 SLWG show and picked up some stuff from Warlord and Empress. There were some familiar faces in the crowd: see above.

The demographics were depressingly weighted towards the middle-aged on both sides of the counters.

The trader market still seems a bit depressed. There was empty space in the main hall and I didn't see much of a feeding frenzy around the stalls.

The bring and buy was a bust as usual with people expecting way too much for second-hand models especially old GW plastics.

Note: unless your name is Kevin Dallimore or somesuch slapping a coat of paint on a model does not give it an enhanced value.

Didn't see many new display games that were photogenic but there were some enthusiastic efforts much appreciated by the punters.

I always like my annual visit to Crystal Palace. It's a nice relaxed show.


16 comments:

  1. I was there, pity I miossed you. Having said that I do tend to get a bit blinkered as I wander around and probably walk by loads of people I know! The trade stalls got a bit bussier around midday, and I had trouble reaching the front of some (mainly due to inconsiderate people hogging the front row while playing with their phone!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Lee
      Know what you mean. i wander round in a daze. I agree about selfish sods with phones. personally I set up an entire SLR camera set up. :)
      J

      Delete
  2. I also missed you. I agree the foot fall did seem light this year. But 10 people spending money is better for a trader than 20 not. Having said that many go to shows and put in orders the week or two after.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clint, Yes, It occured to me that the internet is turning wargame shows into car show equivalents with the buying done later.
      J

      Delete
  3. Totally agree about the bring and buy....a lot of overpriced rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked over the B+B twice and wasn't impressed with the stuff on sale or the prices being asked! I think a few sellers got a bit carried away with their own ability!

      Delete
    2. It amazes me, Francis, what people think you will pay often for very tatty stuff.
      J

      Delete
    3. Lee, I am very aware of my own limitations as a modeller and painter when I see the professionals at work but when I see what other people fondly think is first class......

      Delete
  4. Sorry I didn't see you there. I ended up buying nothing, but enjoyed talking to those I met.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ashley
      Sometimes I think we should have a blogger's meet up at one of these shows. J

      Delete
  5. Empty space in the main hall? They would not let me put my participation game on this year because they were apparently full. So they lost my support. So sad because it is the nearest big show to my home town and is only 35mins away for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see for yourself, Robin. Big empty areas. Maybe they had some no shows. J

      Delete
  6. Missed it again this year due to being abroad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tough Luck. I must confess I don't miss the airplanes since I retired.

      Delete
  7. Sorry to have missed you John. I am a little worried as to whether the show is quite as good as it used to beand I really think they need to rethink the layout - it was a little crowded between some of the trade stands downstairs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. And you All. It was fun meeting at Sittingbourne. It did seem a little quieter than I remember.

    ReplyDelete