Tuesday 4 August 2009

Hydra Kitbash





Like many people, I saw the obvious possibilities in the new quod autocannon turret that comes with the Aegis lines kit for a kitbashed Hydra.

The issues were: (i) Where to mount the guns, and (ii) how to mount them.

I decided that they should be mounted in/on the rear of the APC, where the passenger bay is found. This is normal practice for fitting heavy weapons to an APC for a couple of good reasons. Firstly, the passenger bay sans passengers has space for the turret, rotation motors, ammo feeds, reinforcement struts etc. Secondly, this keeps the weight distribution evenly mounted over the axles, an important consideration when adding weight to an already overloaded vehicle.

I wanted to use one of the Chimera hulls I have already built. I did not want to have to cut down the rear hull so I built a plasticard armoured bridge over the superstructure and cemented on the bunker top from the Aegis kit to hold the guns, rather than use a turret, as the latter would sit to high and make the Chimera look overbalanced.






The Hydra has radar dishes and augur sensors added to model the search and tracking radars of AA weapons. A 'dozer blade seemed a logical requirement for a defensive vehicle with only modest armour. The crew would want to 'dig in' whenever possible.

I removed the heavy bolter from the bow and welded it over as Imperial doctine would discourage a Hydra from engaging enemy infantry at close range, given its long range autocannon. I assume the crew might pintle mount a heavy stubber themselves, in case the enemy are not familiar with Imperial doctrine. The crew have also welded on additional armour plates on the front.






The concrete dust is a mixture of MIG powders and diluted PVA 'white' glue. The grease/fuel oil leaks are burnt umbar oil paint. This takes forever to dry but is suitably gunky.






The final pic is of a gun line moved in to to plug a hole in the line through which enemy infantry is flooding.



13 comments:

  1. Excellent conversion mate. I really need to try out these oil paints and mig powers, they really do bring out the realise in your models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a treadhead myself I appreciate the forethought that went into the model. Well designed and for all the right reasons. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, much better than the forward mounted hydra I saw a few days back. It just seems more natural.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the rear mounting looks better than slapping the quad-cannon turret in the same place as the Chimera's turret.

    While it looks neat, I'm a little surprised you kept the dozer blade on the Hydra. 10pts for gear that the Hydra probably won't use.

    I'm also under the impression from the unit entry that the Hydra mounts a hull weapon, either heavy bolter or heavy flamer, and I see you've omitted that. Personally, I'd slap the heavy flamer back on. While you might not use it, if the enemy ever DOES reach your lines, all your tanks suddenly 'counter-assault' with heavy flamers, and assaulty armies just cry.

    Those two bits aside, though, it's a fine conversion and a very nice paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it - especially the jerry-rigged crew 'improvements'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rear mount looks great... by the end of the year everyone who plays and has spare dosh will be boasting one of these babies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Col

    The powders and oil paint are a bit of a pain to use but they do give a good effect.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Rabid,
    As one treadhead to another, thanks, encouragement appreciated.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Walrus

    The rear mount is, I think, more convincing of a factory modification to an existing chassis.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Raptor

    Thanks for the kind words.

    I am sure you are right about the gaming aspects of the Hydra but I am not a competition player; often, my opponents and I do not bother to work out points before playing. I am equally whimsical about my builds.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  11. dear Drax

    It has always struck me how much crew-modification goes on in pictures of the vehicles of an army on campaign. Adding extra protection is a favourite.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear KSB

    Oh yes, Hydra's and Hellhounds are going to feature a lot more prominently in the next batch of IG armies.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually like the Aegis quad gun better than the actual Forge World Hydra turret. The Forge World one is to big in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete