Friday 21 August 2009

I want to weep




I picked up a model of Huron, the Tyrant of Bedab off eBay and stripped it. Incidentally, my stripping method is to immerse the model in commercial paint stripper in a ceramic bowl and leave overnight. Remaining debris can then usually be removed with a toothbrush and Cif Cleaner (kitchen degreaser). This also destroys the glue, taking the model right back to basics. The only downside is if you have plastic bits on the model. They will dissolve.

Anyway, I trolled over to GW Maidstone to get a painting lesson from Ramon, the manager. Ramon made the cut in a continental Golden Demon so he is very, very, good. I wanted to learn layering. I then went away and painted up Huron over three days. I was ecstatic with the results. They wouldn't win a Golden Demon but it was the best paint job I had ever done.

Without thinking, I gave the model a quick burst of Citadel satin varnish spray. Over the next two hours the varnish comprehensively detroyed my work, bit by bit, minute by minute. I could have wept.

I have done a quick recovery job to get a playing model, as you can see above, but its not a patch on my original paint job. Needless to say, my Citadel varnish is going in the bin.
Does anyone know of a varnish that will not destroy ones efforts at layering?

John

14 comments:

  1. Although I have never varnished a model, from everything I have read on the internet, it seems that varnish and aerosol containers are just about the most temperamental things out there. Seems that if you want to be sure you won't damage the paintwork of a centerpiece like that you have to use a brush on varnish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its not as good as varnish, but I find a watered down layer of PVA can help prevent chipping and damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Krylon Matte Finish/1311. I have used this product in the 102 degree Texas Heat and the - 10 degree Alaska cold and have never had an issue with it. This is by far the best overcoat I have ever used.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Purple? Seriously? Thats Huron the Blackhearted! Not Lucius the Eternal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also use Krylon Matte. Very good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Testors Dullcote
    very very good stuff,you can probally find it where they sell regular historical models(WWII ect.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Guys,
    Thanks for the advice. I must look for a better product
    I live in southern England, Cyborg, so humidity is not a problem (it's rarely hot enough).I have decided that the GW varnish is just too crude a product. It is not cheap so I do not understand why it is so poor.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anonymous,
    If I want my astral claws to be purple then purple they shall be. I like purple. One must never be dictated to by the games company. We pay them.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know a chap who painted up an entire warmachine force and then (perhaps foolishly in hindsight) decided to varnish them all at the same time with the Citadel spray. The result was that all the beautifully worked whites and golds of his Menoth force were dulled considerably and his weeks of work effectively ruined.

    I would also recommend testor's dullcoat, but I always give a new can a thorough test before commiting to anything I've spent time painting in any case!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't offer much advice on varnish, but I just wanted to give you my sympathy over what happened to Huron. Its a real shame that your hard work was tarnished, you can really see that it would have been a beautiful paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always use Testor's Dullcote and have never once had a problem. I too give each can a thorough test before spraying a finished model. I have also heard goods things about Krylon's range, though never used them myself.

    * NEVER USE ANY SPRAY PRODUCT FROM GAMES WORKSHOP *

    That is in upper case as general advice to everyone. Their quality is just too inconsistent. Fine for things like scenery, but if you're going to spray scenery you may as well just buy any of the dirt cheap products on the market as they just as a good job - if not better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Pacific
    The spray seemed to shrink the thin layers of paint causing them to retreat, leaving bare metals at the edge.
    Will try testors
    John

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Soviet,
    Thanks, I appreciate the sympathy. I was truly gutted.
    John

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Artichoke
    Testors gets a number of recommendations. I have the message.
    John

    ReplyDelete