Wednesday, 26 August 2009

Nurgle Blight Drone






I recently had a birthday and my loving family presented me with a whole raft of new Forge World toys.

I have decided to work on the Nurgle Blight Drone first.

This is a lovely kit. Eveything fits together well and all major joints are socketed for strength. The only tricky bit are the hoses. To fit these glue one end first and then dribbled boiling water on the resin. The hose can then be easily bent into shape using a pair of tweezers and the other end glued.

I decided to mount it on a copper rod for rigidity. I used a carpenters power tool to drill out the socket taking utmost care. It is recommended to do this outside as resin dust is nasty stuff.

I used epoxy resin (Araldite fast) rather than superglue as I am super-glue allergic. Resin is slow and tricky but it does give very strong joints as it flows into gaps forming a solid structure. It is also less brittle than superglue.

I will be back in a month or so with the paint job. This is such a good model that it is worth taking a little extra trouble,

John

John

5 comments:

  1. Hi John
    The Drone looks good nice to see some one is thinking of the modeller / wargamer with proper sockets on the components rather than flat(ish) surfaces that require pinning and filling to make a halfway decent joint.
    P.S. see you tonight dremel and brass rod on standby

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how big is it. I han't been able to find size comparison photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cyborg
    The drone is about 4.5" from rotor tip to rotor tip.

    Not huge but large compared to a man-sized figure.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lucky man you, I hoping for the same thing! This Monday is my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Slobber
    Have a great day,
    John

    ReplyDelete