Friday 21 October 2016

This Writers'Life


I always like to preserve the most amusing Amazon reviews of my work so here's a couple on my last two books.

Tabletop Wargames

Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
Written from the most narrow of perspectives, this is a great book if you love anything produced by GW, Osprey or Warlord which if wargaming were pop music would be the Spice Girls or Justin Bieber end of the spectrum of design, i.e. light and fluffy and with little worthwhile content. However, the book totally ignores whole swathes of innovative wargame design which is happening elsewhere in the hobby to much acclaim. A look beyond the Nottingham inner-circle could have been illuminating and provided contrasting opinions. Like so many rule sets of the populist genre this book promised much but ultimately lacked content.







Or how about this one for Poseidon's Warriors

By MR R W HEDGES on 20 Aug. 2016
Format: Paperback
I didn't enjoy these at all . I would say on a positive note that the artwork is amazing and will keep it just for that . However , the rules are not anything new or groundbreaking and quite child like . It would have a made a good boardgame in the old MB games style with some nice toy plastic ships . And as the above reviewer has stated the author doesn't appear to know his subject that well . Its a shame that David Manley wasn't approached to write a set for this period .


Is it any wonder writers turn to drink?

:-) 


16 comments:

  1. No monuments have ever been erected to a critic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these types of review always tell you more about the person writing them than the thing reviewed. The elitism of the first reviewer comes though loud and clear. The second is clearly of the "I am more expert than you" persuasion.
    On the plus side they're both verified purchasers, so whatever drink you turn to, they've helped to pay for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued to know what these acclaimed swathes of innovative design are that we ignored... they sound great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wish they'd let us in on the secret so I can escape my un-enlightened Nottingo-centric view of wargaming.

      Delete
    2. Rick, But you're part of the Nottingham bubble --- hell, you more or less created the Nottingham bubble. :)

      As am I, apparently, coming from Cornwall and living all my adult life in London and the Home Counties.

      Oh well, go figure.

      Delete
    3. TWD, I guess we just are not worthy to be given access to such high matters.

      Delete
  4. oh dear, obviously they've got a lot of time on their hands??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sitting in their mum's basement, hammering on the keyboard and wiping spittle off the screen....... :)

      Delete
  5. Dear John,

    It is not true that all Amazon reviewers are twits and losers.

    That continues to be my opinion every time I read amazon reviews. (Of other people's work because I've learned to avoid them on my own.
    As always,
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to take some of them with the right spirit, Dave...Scotch, Brandy or Vodka.

      Delete
  6. Loved your story Technical Advantage in Drake's tribute book. Only a few authors in the sci fi genre can really capture how terrible war is, and I'd consider you one of them. "The best books tell you what you already know" rings true here in regards to my experiences, and most certainly with Drake's work. Keep up the great writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, Thanks that comment means a great deal to me. I worked very hard on that story. As it was in a Drake tribute volume I wanted to show the reality of wars....as opposed to the heroic gluck churned out by Hollywood.

      You will be amused that a critic of the book devoted his whole review to explaining why my story was awful...couldn't emphasise with the protagonists...effect of war on women and civilians generally shown as awful...no heroic ending, just more of the same....all the things he'd been taught not to do on his creative writing course.

      Delete
  7. The people writing the reviews probably also view card driven mechanics as superior to dice driven mechanics just because...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny Steven, but that thought crossed my mind as well.....I wonder why?

      Delete